The Evolution of Classic Tales
Laphams Quarterly has published a map that shows how four classic stories – Pygmalion, Oedipus, Faust and Leviathan – have evolved over the centuries.
For example, Pygmalion can be traced thus:
- Cypriaca c.250 BC, Cyrene;
- Metamorphoses c. 5th century poem, Rome;
- La Roman de la Rose 1225 poem, Lorris;
- The Winter’s Tale 1611 play, London;
- Pygmalion 1734 ballet, London;
- Pygmalion and Galatea 1890 painting, Paris;
- Pygmalion 1912 play, London;
- My Fair Lady 1956 musical, NYC;
- She’s All That 1999 movie, Los Angeles.
The authors are clearly not fans of reality TV or they would have added:
- Faking It 2000, TV series, London (and the world)