Meet the UK Factual Commissioners: Steve Gowans, Head of Factual Entertainment, Five
Steve Gowans, Head of Factual Entertainment at Five recently outlined his commissioning needs to attendees of the Broadcast Factual Forum (March 2010).
Steve's overview of Five:
- Five is a broad entertainment channel.
- Advertiser-funded programming (AFP) is a new way of getting programmes made, but last year it accounted for only 2% of programmes on air.
- AFP is useful for UK-centric programmes where it is impossible to get international co-production
- Primetime 8p-9pm is a fully funded slot.
Programmes that work on Five:
Photo by Torres CC BY-SA 2.0
More in the areas that are working (above)
- Gadgets – wants something techie to play at Monday 8pm between series of The Gadget Show
- Hotels – what’s the next thing in this area?
- What other areas could Five take ownership of?
- Wants to find new talent to grow at 8pm and 9pm
- Constructed documentaries like Extreme Fishing and Rory and Paddy’s Great British Adventure
Source: Broadcast Factual Forum 10th March, 2010
Updated: Top commissioning tips from Steve Gowans, 21st December, 2010