Meet the UK Factual Commissioners: Andrew O’Connell, Head of Factual, Five
Andrew O’Connell, Head of Factual, Five recently outlined his commissioning needs to attendees of the Broadcast Factual Forum (March 2010).
Andrew's overview of Five:
Photo by Torres CC BY-SA 2.0
- Five has a number of advertiser funded programmes (AFP) but they make up less than 2% of output.
- AFP programmes free up budgets so they can fully fund other programmes.
- Extraordinary People strand has a new series in post production and will transmit in June 2010, but the ideas he’s getting in feel a bit predictable so he is reviewing whether to continue or axe the strand.
Current programmes working well:
- Advertiser funded programming for 7.30pm slot – flexible on subjects but programmes on food, animals and vets are always popular and it is relatively easy to secure advertiser funding for these kinds of shows.
- Programmes that can refresh the Extraordinary People genre, like The Human Camera programme about Stephen Wilshire.
Source: Broadcast Factual Forum 10th March, 2010