Meet the UK Factual Commissioner: Jo Clinton-Davis, Controller Popular Factual, ITV
Jo Clinton-Davis, Controller Popular Factual, ITV recently outlined her commissioning needs to attendees of the Broadcast Factual Forum (March 2010).
Jo's overview of ITV:
Photo by Torres CC BY-SA 2.0
- ITV shows are often fronted by celebrities, but she is proud of programmes that don’t need famous faces
- Believes in a rich mix of programming, such as Holloway Prison, which gave a “real, visceral, insider look at prisons”. They are now doing a series on Wormwood Scrubs.
- Titles are very important. They have to ‘cold launch’ all their programmes at 9pm (ie. with no publicity) so the titles have to be explicit eg. Smugglers, a 3×60′ series about HM Customs and Excise. “It could have been called Customs and Excise, but that is not as sexy.”
Watch clip reel: ITV Factual Programming 2010
- Big, signature documentaries from auteur filmmakers for 9pm and 10.35pm – these docs would be fully-funded by ITV.
- The 9pm tariff is comparable with other channels
- Other areas in the schedule have suffered 30% budget cuts
- 7.30pm slot – The Lakes, Crimefighers, Lion Country and Countrywise – £25 per 30′
- Daytime budget is £30K per 60′
Source: Broadcast Factual Forum 10th March, 2010