Meet the Entertainment Commissioner: Richard Woolfe, Five
Richard Woolfe, Channel Controller at Five, recently outlined his commissioning needs to attendees of the Broadcast Entertainment Forum (as of September 2009).
Photo by Torres CC BY-SA 2.0
Richard's View on Five
- Five is looking for ‘fun’.
- Wants entertainment to be the flagship genre for Five.
- Programmes that will make the channel famous – noisy, talked-about programmes that have a life outside of TV eg. in the newspapers or on forums.
- Doesn’t want “me too” shows that feel derivative.
- Talent is important – has just signed up Justin Lee Collins. Generally wants established faces rather than new talent.
- Ideas for viewers aged 16-34 years.
- Big shows that resonate with the nation.
How to pitch
- Want to feel that you have pitched them first with your idea – if you’ve pitched it elsewhere, make sure you’ve taken the other channel’s name off the proposal.
Source: Broadcast Entertainment Forum 24th September 2009