Meet the Entertainment Commissioner: Andrew Newman, Ch4
Andrew Newman, Head of Entertainment and Comedy at Channel 4, recently outlined his commissioning needs to attendees of the Broadcast Entertainment Forum (as of September 2009).
Photo by Torres CC BY-SA 2.0
Andrew's View on Ch4
- Channel 4 offers an alternative to the mainstream terrestrial channels.
- It’s a channel for big and bold programmes that no other channel would dare to do.
- Derren Brown predicting the National Lottery was risky, legally and technically, which is exactly what Channel 4 is about.
- New talent that they can develop.
- Shows that make an impact and get big audiences.
- Programmes that aren’t derivatives of other successful shows (eg. a panel of four people judging the performances of other people) – they need to be distinctive and break new ground.
- There is room for more panel shows
- Comedy reality eg. Gene Simmons’ Rock School.
How to pitch
- Make sure you have a good idea, access and the ability to pull it off before pitching.
Source: Broadcast Entertainment Forum 24th September 2009