Meet the Controller: Richard Klein, BBC4
Photo by torrez CC BY-SA 2.0
Richard Klein is Channel Controller for BBC4; he recently outlined his current channel strategy and needs (as of August 2009).
Richard's View on BBC4
- BBC4 is challenging and intellectual but with a twinkle in its eye.
- Programmes should be thought provoking – it’s a place for diversity of opinion and controversy. Polemical pieces that make us question our views.
- Seasons bring together archive and new material, but he’s not chasing schedule ‘tent poles’.
- There will be a greater emphasis on documentaries and factual.
- Secret Life of Chaos – loves science.
- 20th century history that reflects where we are now – explaining the world via recent events.
- Programmes with a Georgian sense of wit.
How to pitch
- You can email a one-liner but better to go via genre commissioners.
Source: MGEITF session 30 August 2009 (with thanks to 3witches for the notes).
See festival Highlights